Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My Favorite story... Ichabod!


So far, one of my favorite stories is The Legend of Sleepy Hallow by Washington Irving.   I was visiting my brother in Virginia when I first read it, and I was laughing so much that my siblings asked me to read aloud! We all really enjoyed it together, and that night we even watched the old Disney movie based on the story (the voice actor was even Bing Crosby which made it delightful to listen to! I love his voice).  
I think one of my first, favorite descriptions was that of Ichabod Crane’s physique – especially the parts: “… long arms and legs, hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves, feet that might have served for shovels”, and “a long snipe nose, so that it looked like a weather-cock, perched upon his spindle neck, to tell which way the wind blew.”
Also when he sang it was “heard half a mile off” and was “said to be legitimately descended from the nose of Ichabod Crane”.  I laughed so hard imagining a nasally voice singing proudly in a church assembly.
Finally was the image brought to mind upon reading: “he rode with short stirrups, which brought his knees nearly up to the pommel of the saddle; his sharp elbows stuck out like grasshoppers’… as his horse jogged on, the motion of his arms was not unlike the flapping of a pair of wings.” Needless to say, seeing it illustrated in the movie was priceless.

http://www.bartleby.com/310/2/2.html
 

3 comments:

  1. First off, I'd like to say that I really love your blog! Not just the posts, but the design of it as well. Have you blogged a lot before this class? Oh, and I love the title "Piglit", haha. Instantly thought of Winnie The Pooh, which worked nice with your pink color for the blog layout.

    I love your post about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It is one of my favorite stories as well. I recently had my nieces watch the Disney animated movie version of the story just the other day and they loved it. One is seven, the other is four. Seeing them laughing and enjoying the movie made me love the story even more.

    I too am a avid reader and writer. Not so much with college right now though, which you seem to understand, haha. I hope to be a fantasy writer someday. I love anything that involves fantasy or a supernatural twist to a story. I'm not so great with short stories though, as I tend to want to expand further into the story and characters that I start writing a novel, haha.

    I write poems on occasion, but nothing as of late. Plus I always write poems that rhythm and have a certain kind of beat to it, you know? Also I'm a hopeless romantic, so all my poems usually involve love in some form or another, haha.

    Anyway, great posts! It's nice to see another lover of words :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments! I have done some very, very basic blogging before - but I deserve no credit for the layout as it's actually a pre-made template haha. PigLit is a double entendre I suppose. It also suggests that I eat up literature ^^

      I heard that there is a headless horseman hayride at Connor Prairie, I bet if your nieces liked the movie they would enjoy meeting the hessian face-to-face :D

      Yep, college is a bit time-consuming and doesn’t allow too much pleasure-reading unfortunately. And when I say short stories I mean like 10-20 paged ones haha. I can’t seem to put together a well organized story that surpasses that length, and it's tough making it much less. I guess it’s a gift of mind to be able to think in terms of full-length novels, so kudos to you!

      So basically you have a poetic style structure-wise? There’s nothing wrong with that! It could be your trademark or something. You should share some of your poetry!

      Thank you again for the comment!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete